Personal Strawberry Shortcakes
Need an impressive dessert that doesn't require much time and isn't fiddly to make? Then you should make these personal strawberry shortcakes. 'Personal' because everyone gets their own little cake. This was my first time ever making a shortcake recipe and it was a hit with my girlfriends who I had over for dinner. Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup butter
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 egg, beaten
3 cups fresh sliced strawberries
3 tablespoons white sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Sift the flour into a large bowl and mix in the 1/4 cup of white sugar and baking powder. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or you can use your hands (as I did).
3. Stir in cream and beaten egg. Lightly dust the mixture with flour and work with your hands in the bowl, kneading until it comes together into a soft dough.
4. From the dough, create 12 gently-formed balls and place on a lined baking sheet. Pat the tops of the balls very lightly to flatten slightly, then sprinkle with a little sugar if desired.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool. Sprinkle the 3 tablespoons of sugar over the sliced strawberries. Assemble the shortcake by creating a sandwich of cream and berries.